There are a few significant items for discussion at the next Council meeting:
- We are interviewing three candidates for two open Planning Commission roles. Interviews start at 6pm.
- A discussion whether to cancel any upcoming regularly scheduled meetings due to availability of a quorum.
- A discussion of a resolution to authorize the Pride flag to be flown at City Hall, Clayton Library, and the Grove throughout June each year.
- A discussion whether to send a letter to the County's Measure X Community Advisory Board in support of utilizing County Measure X funding for Community Crisis initiative intended to develop a comprehensive system where anyone in Contra Costa County can access timely and appropriate behavioral health crisis care anywhere at any time. This could take the form of using an alternate number than 911 when mental health is the issue.
- A discussion of the proposed FY22 City budget. This brings to the full Council the updated budget after modifications from the previous budget subcommittee meeting. While this budget projects a minor General Fund surplus of approximately $8K, it cannot be overemphasized that our expenses in general are increasing faster than our revenues. Projections show that following the adoption of this budget, the next year following that we will be in a deficit position. This means that our general fund revenues will not be sufficient to cover expenses. And while we have reserves we can use to cover temporary shortfalls, it is poor public policy to utilize reserves to cover ongoing operations.
Over the next several months it will be important for we as a city to determine the levels of service we want to provide, how we will pay for it, and how we can shift to a more sustainable structure.